Name: Ella (4)
Location: North Center, Chicago, Illinois
Hello and welcome to Ella's room! I'm Mika, Ella's mom and an interior designer. As someone who is very much inspired by modern design, I also wanted Ella's room to reflect it, and here's how I did it:
1. Clean and simple lines that found expression through furniture, color scheme and decorative elements.
2. Adding highlights through bright color - in the green area rug , the wall decal, the pink arm chair, the bedding, and of course, using books and toys can always introduce color play.
3. When possible, I tried to keep it gender-neutral and avoid going only for pink.
4. Since "modern" often means multifunctional and multi-stage, I tried to look for pieces that serve more than one purpose, like the replica Eames rocking chair, or the toy storage unit, which can grow with Ella or can be put to use in another room later on.
The two biggest challenges I met were the size of the room (9' by 10') and of course, the budget. By choosing compact yet functional furniture, like a toddler bed rather than a twin bed, and a pretty small in size yet deep storage unit, I was able to maximize the space to its highest potential.
As for the budget; modern furniture can get costly, and since we are talking about a little girl who is still growing, I was looking for simple basic furniture solutions that can work with a variety of color schemes and then be layered and accessorized with colorful decor. Design on a dime!
- Toddler Bed: Amazon
- Rocking chair: Amazon
- Rocking Horse: My Bambino
- Green Area Rug: Target
- Storage Unit/Book Case: Ikea
- Kid's Arm Chair and doll: Pottery Barn Kids
- 3D Butterflies framed art: all handcrafted by me :-)
- Pink Dog decor: Target
- Wall decal: Target
Thanks, Mika! Readers, see more of Mika's work at Interiors by Mika.
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE
(Image credits: Danna Shalev Hileli )