- Santa Barbara, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- My home is in a fantastic location, a residential neighborhood that’s a 5 minute walk to the center of town, a 15 minute walk to the beach, and a short drive to work. I love that my house is a Sears kit home, built in the 1930s, in a complex of cottages that used to be vacation rentals. It’s a wonderful community, with friendly neighbors who tend their gardens and care for their homes as if they owned them. I have my own little back yard, and though my cottage is less than 10 feet from the one next door, I love having my own self-contained space. I also appreciate the lovely original features, like the hardwood floors, and the cabinets and tile in the kitchen.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- As much as I love the character of the original features, I do have fantasies about how I would tear down walls and open the ceiling to the rafters if I owned the place. The layout of the small rooms is challenging (the living room and kitchen each have three doorways, and one of the bedrooms has two), and the little hallway between the bedrooms is a waste of precious space. And of course there are the storage challenges that come with any small space. There’s a constant tension between the collector and the minimalist in me.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Art! I have a long list of artists whose work I admire, but can’t afford on my current budget. I envision a home filled with a revolving collection of pieces I love. I would also like to spruce up my garden, and get more outdoor seating.