Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Boston, MA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I grew up in Los Angeles, where most apartment buildings are recent builds with grey carpets and stucco walls. When I moved to Boston I was struck by how much love and care was put into buildings. My apartment is a studio converted from the old living room of a brownstone house. I love the original window moldings, parquet floors, and antique fireplace. It makes me feel like I'm just sharing the space with the history of the house. When I decorated, I tried to fuse that history with my modern/vintage style.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Keeping it clean! When you are living in one room and leave your towel on the floor, it makes about 30% of your whole apartment's floor covered. That's annoying. When everything has a designated home base, it's easier to remember to clean up. In a small space that means either living lightly or finding great storage. I'm a big reader, so I covered my door-less closet with awesome bookshelves that I hid sliding pads under. During summer, I put all my winter bedding and clothing behind there, and in winter I store my air conditioner and other out of season stuff there. It helps the visible space in the apartment not get too cluttered!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- First thing I'd do is buy more canvases and paint (most of the art in my place I made) to keep changing up the artwork. Then, I'd invest in a drill and some tools... I'd love to build my own bookshelves! And if I'm dreaming big, I'd love to book it to Istanbul to visit the Grand Bazaar for some more vintage finds!
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013