Summer has me thinking about camping, and thinking about camping makes me think about those iconic enamel mugs. Wine in the evening and coffee in the morning never taste better than by a campfire, sipped with good company, out of those humble mugs. And there are so many other goods with a similar rustic yet sophisticated charm — enamel signs, kettles, light shades, and more.
I got especially excited about enamel products when I saw these espresso mugs in the Sur La Table catalog, and thought they were teeny versions of the classic camping mugs. Sadly, they are faux enamel, made of earthenware, though they're still kind of cute. But not as cute as a bright red first aid kit...
1. This enamel steel sign from Best Made Company is painted with the simple but crucial words that Benjamin Franklin asked himself first thing in the morning, every morning. What good shall I do this day?
2. An enamel steel first aid kit from A&G Merch would look darling in a bright bathroom, and think how fun it would be to stock it with your personal rescue remedies! If you live in San Francisco, these were in stock at their Market Street store when I stopped in last week.
3. I covet one of Enamel Signs of Denmark's classy address signs. They come in all different sizes and styles, and you can have names, full address, or just your house number. Now I need a house to put it on…
4. & 5. Labour And Wait of the UK has an incredible amount of cool enamel goods, but I tried to limit myself here. I have a soft spot for enamel kettles because my parents have had one on their stove since I've been alive. Kettles like this one are timeless, charming, and perfect for travel or camping. This candleholder is as old-timey as all get-out — it is the "traditional 'Wee Willie Winkie' candleholder", after all.
6. And thus begins the lighting portion of this post. Labour & Wait's enamel lampshade comes in grey, green, and white, but I'm always partial to black with a white interior.
7. Lucent Lampworks puts together highly-customizable hanging lights — again, the black with white is my favorite, but there are so many good options.
8. I can't resist a beautiful duck egg blue, and this lamp from Blue Moon Lights is particularly lovely — though they have tons of other styles and colors.
(All images as credited above.)