Still searching for a good way to spend your Labor Day weekend, or your last remaining vacation days, before summer ends? If you read this site, your idea of a great vacation might mean going to a flea market in the rural Midwest, or spending the night at a boutique hotel decorated by your favorite designer. For a few other ideas, click below...
- Take a vintage shopping daytrip. There's nothing like finding that perfect piece at a roadside antique store. Apartment Therapy's store guides are full of ideas for shopping areas off the beaten path. Pick your region: Midwest, Southwest, Northwest, East Coast (here and here), or Southeast.
- Visit a historic home and get inspired by the styles of decades past. For recommendations and ideas from Apartment Therapy, click here and here.
- Take a road trip to your favorite regional design sites. For ideas, check out a few sample iteneraries, from LA to San Francisco, Austin, Texas to Tallahassee, FL, or across the Midwest. Before you set out on your adventure, check out Abby's roadtripping resources (Part I and Part II) for good advice.
- Book a weekend at a really great design hotel. Websites like Design Hotels and Tablet Hotels have comprehensive lists of chic spaces, searchable by region.
- Vacation rentals are usually more cost-effective than hotels if you've got more than a few days off. We've featured several design-friendly rentals on Apartment Therapy (including an Airstream rental if you're in Northern California). Click here to start searching.
Other ideas? Let us know in the comments below.