The reasons for avoiding a vacation in another location are different from person to person. Maybe it’s because you’re low on funds or it could be you don’t really have lots of time to get away. That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a little free time around your own home. In fact, not going away for vacation means avoiding many of the stressors that can make you feel even more exhausted than before you left (screaming kids, delayed flights, lost luggage, jet lag, etc).
1) Take a 60/40 approach. Spend 60 percent of your vacation days lazing around the house, and 40 percent exploring areas of your city that you haven't had a chance to see yet. (Or a variation that works for you).
2) Take your house to-do-list and stuff it in a drawer. It might be tempting to tackle all things around the house you’ve been meaning to get to, but that’s not really a vacation, and will leave you exhausted at the end of it. If you genuinely enjoy being productive, make sure you plan for plenty of time to do nothing in between projects.
3) Consider making it technology-free. A near impossible idea to even think about these days, unplugging for a day or two just might give you a whole new perspective on your home and city.
4) Enjoy nature as much as you can. There are those for whom a 20 day, shower-less trek in the wilderness is the ideal dream vacation, for others, nature is best enjoyed from the comfort of an air-conditioned room. Which ever level you consider yourself on, experiencing some nature will make you feel refreshed (even if it’s just drinking margaritas in front of an open window).
5) Consider limited work check-ins. You know how terrible that first day back from a vacation is? Feeling like you don’t know what’s going on, having to deal with an overflowing inbox? It's enough to make anyone regret taking a few days off to unwind, so consider taking an hour or so every other day to just check in with the workload (not do any work mind you, just check in) answer a few vital emails and delete ones you don’t need.
When's the last time you took a vacation in your own city? How do you enjoy your days off around your house?
Image: 11 Tips for Slowing Down