Looking for some energy efficient lights to dress up your backyard this summer? Below are 5 you can buy, and 5 to DIY if you want to update a string of LED lights you already have or make a solar lantern of your own:
1. Globe Solar String Lights, $40 from Plow & Hearth: each of the 20 clear glass bulbs holds a bright LED light. The energy efficient solar panel sets up anywhere to illuminate the lights for up to 8 hours on an 8-hour charge.
2. Soji Stella Solar Lantern, $20 from Allsop Garden: punched luminaria made from metallic Tyvek fabric and high-powered duel LEDs. Cylindrical design and flat bottom allows for either hanging or table top use. Available in silver, bronze, and midnight blue.
3. Solar Tea Lantern, $25 from Allsop Garden: hand-blown glass lantern is embedded with a combination of luminescence and white glass. Utilizes a "warm white" LED, for a natural, inviting glow. Available in 5 colors.
4. Solvinden Solar Lantern, $15 from Ikea: when the battery is fully charged, the product will give full light for about 12 hours. LED life time approximately 20,000 hours. The handle makes it easy to move.
5. Party Light Solar Light String, £36 from Keen Gardener: solar powered color-changing LED light string. Battery capacity for 6 hours of light each night.
6. Rattan String Lights, tutorial from Crafty Butt
7. DIY Origami Paper Cube Strings, tutorial from Wit & Whistle
8. DIY Your Own Solar Lights From Canning Jars, tutorial from The Hand Me Down House
9. Improved Sun Jars: Easy DIY Solar Lights For Your Home, tutorial from Instructables
10. Make Rustic Hanging Solar Lights, tutorial from Ikea Hackers
MORE PARTY LIGHTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Party Perfect Solar-Powered Lights
• More Eco-Friendly Outdoor Lighting: Solar & LEDs
• Innovative Mason Jar Lights: From Garden to Kitchen
• Best Outdoor String Lights 2011
(Images: as credited above)