Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Aside from the obvious (the big windows that face a courtyard and give amazing natural light, the loft that feels like a secluded tree house, the fact that it takes two hours max to deep-clean), there's an oddly refreshing feeling that comes with knowing all your worldly possessions can fit comfortably into such a tiny space. Living in a small home forces you to be mindful in your approach to living, not just designing. The ability to appreciate every inch is, happily, a mindset that seeps over into life outside the walls of your apartment.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". So true! Every item in my space - down to the turquoise Buddha that wears my costume jewelry - serves a useful purpose. When space is limited, you need to be selective about what you bring in to maintain a balance between functionality and aesthetic.
2) Don't be afraid to display "wearable art" out in the open. I've amassed quite the collection of shoes, sunglasses, and statement necklaces - all of which I chose to display prominently as art pieces instead of tucking them away in drawers. If you've got it, flaunt it!
3) Be willing to compromise with yourself. Certain ideas may not always turn out exactly as you envisioned them, but that doesn't mean what it actually is can't be equally cool. Figuring out how to design around the exposed wood of my closet/staircase was a struggle for me in the beginning, but after a while, I learned to embrace its rustic qualities.
See all entries