- Brooklyn, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- It feels like a home!
This is the smallest apartment I've ever lived in. To fit great location into my budget, I downgraded to this apartment, which is just a bit more than 1/3 the size of my previous apartment.
It is an oddly shaped teeny-tiny 2 bedroom (yes, you can call it a 2-bedroom) with the world's smallest bathroom (no tub, no sink, called the "shoilet" because you can shower and pee at the same time). Yet, I turned it into my own. I feel fun, inspired, relaxed, and happy whenever I am at home.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- The biggest challenge is the ultra small size of each room. It would have been an easier project if it were a studio instead of a 2 room situation. But it wouldn't have been this fun to build.
A lot of people suggest getting rid of things to live in a small space. I did to some degree, but there are just too many things that I can't live without. So instead of removing, I tried to maximize the space to make it still a fully functional home. For example, I used a wine stopper frame as the desk top, and put half of it on the window counter, so it only takes half of its space with 2 legs. The holes on the desk's top also hides wires.
I managed to keep a laundry pod, a steamer, full size air mattress (can fit after re-arranging the living room!), butcher's paper roll (because I like the idea of not having to clean up after dinner!), 8 chairs, a 46" TV, and all my beautiful clothes. I hosted dinner parties of 6-8, and I hosted a couple for a week, all in my tiny little home.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- A high-end wall bed! My boyfriend and I are planning on moving in together later this year. With the super expensive rent in New York, it's hard to find a place with enough space for 2 people and a cat. It would be awesome to have a wall bed in the study or living room. More space, better relationship.
ATVideo of the Day