Name: Erick Millan
Location: Burbank, California
Size: 650 square feet
Years lived in: 3 years; Rented
When Erick hired me to shoot his home for his new interior design portfolio, I immediately wanted to share it as a house tour because it exemplifies how easy it is to bring beautiful organic style to maximize a modest-sized home. It is his first completed design project and it is very, very special.
Erick believes that when you design a home, the most essential thing is that it feels alive and inviting. He has certainly accomplished this in his own home with all the plants and plenty of warm textures. The single most significant thing in his home is his altar, located off the dining room. "It allows me to keep myself grounded and be thankful for," he says.
As a home that is filled with so many cultural artworks and influences, the apartment feels very authentic in Los Angeles. In terms of how the city has affected his design aesthetic, Erick loves that things are always growing and evolving here. "Within the urban space we are challenged on a daily basis to find the organic within the fabricated and the natural within the industrial. Living in Los Angeles has taught me how to seek out my roots while adding in new elements of the many diverse cultures, voices, and experiences here."
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern organic
Inspiration: The natural world/rainforests of South America
Favorite Element: Trees
Biggest Challenge: Learning English and finding the right dining table for my apartment — I spent three months.
What Friends Say: "So simple, unexpected, inspiring. Your spaces are so accessible and inviting. They are healing spaces. It feels very organic."
Biggest Embarrassment: I can think of many, but my accent always gets me in trouble; I keep pronouncing beach and bitch the same.
Proudest DIY: Goat-hide pillow from shoulder bag
Biggest Indulgence: Reclaimed wood wall paneling
Best Advice: Connect with your heart, your ancestors, and create from there. Go green or go home!
Dream Sources: Bamboo Forests
PAINT & COLORS
- Vertical garden wall (teal color): Dunn Edwards Paints DE5731 Port Hope
- Living Room (wall with the entrance door): Jeff Lewis Color JLC312 Agave
- Bedroom (wall with the wolf picture): Jeff Lewis Color JLC210 Bone
- Rest of the apartment: Dunn Edwards Paints Swiss Coffee in Eggshell Finish
- Indoor plants: Lowe's
- Woolly One: Woolly Pockets
- Oskar armless lounge chair: Room & Board
- Magazine rag ladder: CB2
- Sill picture ledges in walnut: Room & Board
- Acacia wood stool: Asian Art Imports
- Painting: Dao Home
- Tri-plex floor lamp: CB2
- Eden convertible sleeper sofa: Room & Board
- Brass peacock shoehorn: Jonathan Adler
- Amethyst sphere: Jonathan Adler
- Brazilian cow rug: Asian Art Imports
- Curved diamond tile wall planter: West Elm
- Pendant light fixture: West Elm
- Reclaimed wood mixture wall: Treeline Woodworks
- Wall arrows: Bend Goods
- Geodesic bowl: CB2
- Jax table in yellow: Jory Brigham
- Bubble spheres in orange: CB2
- Dowel Side Shell, Dowel Arm Shell, and Dowel Wire Chair: Modernica
- Fresh flowers: the LA Flower Mart
- Reclaimed wood backsplash: DIY
- 3-panel room dividers: Asian Arts Imports
- Kenneth table lamp: West Elm
- Brass Salvador orb: Jonathan Adler
- Grey throw- Target
- Grove bed in walnut: Room & Board
- Bedding: West Elm
- Brass Misia orb: Jonathan Adler
- Blue agate and gold bookends: Jonathan Adler
- Mid-century side tables: West Elm
- Mina handwoven pillow cover, Aya Moroccan wedding blanket pillow cover, and Lina Moroccan wedding blanket pillow cover: Pottery Barn
- Accessories near toilet (basket, the little stone owls, etc): T.J. Maxx
- Accessories near sink: West Elm
- Plants: Lowe's
- Flowers: LA Flower Market
- Big storage basket: Target
- Pebble mat: CB2
Send us your own:
→ Share your home with Apartment Therapy: House Tour Submission Form
→ Are you a designer/architect/decorator? Share your residential project: Professional Submission Form.
→ And see all of our past house tours here
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!