- Los Angeles, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I like the wall of big arched windows - being on the top floor of a 1925 office building provides that sort of interesting structure. Having Hollywood Boulevard right outside my front door is also very lively; things are always changing, and it's always crowded on the sidewalk. There's a nice view of the Hollywood Hills from the sofa. It's bright during the day and at night, the lights from the hills and the office building next door are a nice touch. I can't invite people over for a sit-down dinner, but I have hosted buffets, and have friends over here for drinks before we go to a restaurant or show.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. You can't keep adding, so you have to replace. If there's something I really want, I have to give something away to a local AIDS thrift shop.
2. Using odd spaces well is important. I had a long wall in the bedroom that was recessed. A carpenter from TaskRabbit built a shallow but long bookshelf to fit in that space exactly; cost about $100. To make more space, I had another carpenter craft an add-on to the top of the armoire to make it the same height as the bookcase backed up against it and painted it the same red color as the armoire; I got more space for books and a more unified divider between the living and sleeping areas.
3. Living in a small space means you have to be more of a curator. You have to carefully select what you want, so it requires a bit more thought, I believe.
More posts in Small Cool 2014
ATVideo of the Day