Name: Erin Feher - Associate Editor of California Home+Design and Danny Montoya - Kindergarten Teacher and DJ
Location: San Francisco, California — Civic Center
Size: 500 square feet
Years lived in: 3.5 years
I stumbled upon Erin's home in a California Home+Design feature on entertaining in small spaces. With only 500 square feet, I was really impressed that they could pull off a dinner party for more than 20 guests in such a small space. Erin and Danny don't take let their lack of square footage hold them back from enjoying and making the most out of their home.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: "We can make that."
Inspiration: We are inspired by all the things people say we can't do in 500 square feet.
Favorite Element: All the things that let us entertain, from our thrift store dining table to our easily rearrangable chairs, stools and side tables to the open floor plan and great kitchen. We've had more than 20 people in here at once and have cooked for them all.
Biggest Challenge: Deciding out of all the things we see and love, what makes it home with us, as we have extremely limited space.
What Friends Say: That it's really comfortable and frighteningly organized
Biggest Embarrassment: My VHS Ghostbusters box set
Proudest DIY: Our loft, dresser and desks. Danny built them all last summer. We posted a video of Danny and a few other men putting it together on YouTube.
Biggest Indulgence: Because most of our furnishings were either a bargain or made by us, I would have to say the food and cooking equipment. What we don't spend at pricey furniture stores we blow at Rainbow Grocery, the farmers market, and the cookware section of Bloomingdales. I never deny myself pine nuts.
Best advice: You don't need it.
Dream source: Monument, Britex Fabrics, and The Industrialists
Resources of Note:
- Locker: X-21/ Refurbished by Danny
- Blue Chair: The Other Shop
- Sofa: Discount Furniture
- Dining Table and Chairs: Salvation Army
- Coffee Table Cubes: Target
- Wood Side Table: Thrift Town
- Folding Chairs: Niche Interiors
- Record/turntable shelf: Danny
- Bar Cart: Past Perfect
- Kitchen Island: Craigslist/Ikea
- Floral Pillows: Custom by Erin, Amy Butler fabric
- Stripe Pillows: Ruby Living
RUGS & CARPETS
- Rug in Living room: Flokati
- Rug in Bedroom: Ikea
- Rug in Kitchen: CB2
- Trio of Pendants: Ikea
- Blue Table Lamp: Urban Outfitters
- Silver Pendant: Niche Interiors
- Entry Wallpaper: Graham and Brown
- Loft Wallpaper: Graham and Brown
- Loft Bed and Upholstered Headboard: Danny, Fabric from Marimekko
- Bike Art and Frames: Found/made
Thanks Erin and Danny!
Images: Jen Siska
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.