Erin Fleckenstein and Velcro, her 17 year old cat
Altadena — CA
700 square feet
Years lived in:
2 — rented
Nestled up near the San Gabriel mountains in Altadena lies Erin's breezy, light-filled cozy getaway. A maker of all things fabric, knit, art, and food you can really see her unique and personal style throughout her lovely little home. From the furniture that her father made to the quilt that covers her bed, many of her treasures were handmade with love. It's these personal touches that add to the warmth and inviting nature that Erin's home exudes.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Organic Crafty Urban Retro
I love minimal modern design but am incapable of living in a minimal space. I get inspiration from all kinds of places: artists' studios, friend's homes, blogs, apartment therapy, antique stores, retro fabulous things, the modern crafty movement.
The light, the nook in the bedroom and my dad's furniture. I love that I have windows on every side, the changing light throughout the day is awesome and I get great air flow through my place. The little dressing nook in the bedroom is great for storage and a lot of fun. And my dad's furniture is something that I really treasure. I love his style and that he made the pieces for me.
The limited amount of counter space in the kitchen. I know that there are much smaller kitchens out there but I downsized from a kitchen with over 20 linear feet of counter space so going back to a little apartment kitchen is a challenge sometimes when I throw dinner parties or cook up batches of jam.
What Friends Say:
I get a lot of compliments about the great natural light and the adjective "airy" is used often. And people say that it's "very Erin".
The amount of Ikea I own.
My quilts and paintings. I rent and the space didn't require me to DIY much so my arts & crafts are what I've done myself.
My kitchen equipment. I love to cook and quality tools make all the difference.
Acquire things deliberately, get quality stuff that you love and celebrate discardia regularly. Don't worry if stuff "matches" or if your home is perfect. It's *your* house, create a space that's comfortable. And get flowers regularly!
DWR, my parent's house, Nakashima and some magical mythic thrift store.
Resources of Note:
• Couch: Crate and Barrel
• Pillows: Me
• Bookcases: Ikea
• Chairs, coffee table: thrift store finds
• Benches, wall shelf and stool: Joe Fleckenstein
• Rug: scavenged from a friend's garage
• Desk: Ikea
• Paintings: Me
• Photographs: Me, Gary Higgins, Craig Smith
• Wall hanging: Higgy
• Bed, side tables and rug: Ikea
• Chest: Lane cedar chest
• Dressers: Ikea and thrift store
• Rocking chair: a thrift store find that a friend's dad recaned.
• Quilt and knit throw: Me
• Wall hanging: Joe Fleckenstein
• Art: Me
Images: Courtesy of Jeremy Ries
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.