Neighborhood: Greenway Plaza
City: Houston, Texas
My Home: Two-bedroom loft (converted to lofts from an old office building)
Greenway Plaza is sandwiched in between two of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Houston: River Oaks and West University (as in west of Rice University). I've lived here for about 5 years. It's just down the street from the artsy neighborhood of Montrose, where I've also lived. It's an eclectic part of town that's not too far from anything.
Erin's Guide to Greenway Plaza
You can walk to cute shops and the farmers market, and to the neighborhood bar, Velvet Melvin (where they have killer pizza, by the way). It has the feeling of downtown, since there's a little pocket of office buildings surrounding the neighborhood, but it's not over crowded. And if you're lucky enough to work in one of these big office towers, you can walk to work, too. It's hard to find another neighborhood in Houston where so many people walk! I love it here.
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- SUNSET SETTINGS: 2610 Sunset Boulevard
"Contemporary modern furniture and accessories for the home"
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- SLOAN HALL: 2620 Westheimer Road
"Fine artisan jewelry"
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- TAXI TAXI: 1657 Westheimer Road
"Used, vintage, and consignment clothing"
4. Favorite Bookstore
- DOMY BOOKS: 1709 Westheimer Road
"Domy is a progressive bookstore with a focus on editioned books, periodicals, video, and product lines that concentrate on national and international contemporary art and culture."
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- CAFE BRASIL: 2604 Dunlavy Street
Open-air patio seating
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- BERING'S: 6102 Westheimer Road
A hardware store celebrating its 70th Anniversary in Houston
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- HEB ON BUFFALO SPEEDWAY: 5225 Buffalo Speedway
"Here Everything's Better" — a supermarket chain in Texas and Louisiana
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- RIVER OAKS PLANT HOUSE: 3401 Westheimer Road
Florist and garden center
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- LEVY PARK: 3801 Eastside
Near Richmond Boulevard in the Greenway Plaza area
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- URBAN HARVEST FARMERS MARKET: 2311 Canal Street
"A local charitable organization supporting a network of urban gardens, farms and orchards"