- Savannah, GA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- The thing I love most about my home is the light that filters in during midday, and the calm feeling I get sitting in my kitchen drinking tea while looking out the window.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space:
- The most difficult part when designing my home was integrating a functional art studio, living room, dining room, and bedroom into 370 square feet without losing open space. I choose to meet this challenge by making the rooms predominately multi-functional.
In the kitchen, the dining table and chairs all fold and store easily should I need extra room. The studio can seat six comfortably at the drafting table when it is pulled into the middle of the room. Inversely, the table flattens nicely against the wall if I am ever in need of an impromptu dance floor. Additionally, I constructed a daybed to store bedding and a queen size wool mattress, my take on the traditional Japanese shikibuton, allowing the living area to transform into a bedroom at night.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are::
- If I were to win the grand prize, the next two projects I would attempt to tackle are as follows:
1. I would like to make the shared outdoor space of the apartment complex I live in more friendly (i.e. build a picnic table and benches, put in a fire pit, do some landscaping, add a compost area).
2. I would also like to build a closet with storage around my washing machine and dryer.
More posts in Small Cool 2013
ATVideo of the Day