- Savannah, GA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I am proud of my space because of the resourcefulness I have applied in making it my own. The apartment had good bones but was in rather ill repair when I moved in. I put an enormous amount of time into repairs and painting. I've also managed to find almost the entirety of my furniture outside while walking my doggy. It's taken work, but I've ended up with some beautiful pieces for free. What I haven't found outside I've acquired from Craigslist or various junk stores throughout the years. Nothing I own is new. Even most of furniture I've purchased cost less than less than $30. However, everything I own has been well considered. I will not bring something home unless it meets all of my criteria. In the end I've managed to collect a pleasingly eclectic mix of furniture that is useful, functional, and fits my aesthetic without costing an arm and a leg. I guess what I love most about my living space is the reward for all my hard work, scavenging and patience. My apartment is a home.
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Space - One of the most important things to remember when living in a small home is that the empty space is just as (if not more) important than the things filling the space. No matter how intrinsically wonderful a particular object is, it looses all of its value if it is choking the space it resides in.
2. Patience - It takes time to find the right objects for any space, but particularly so in a small space. It is good to explore your home and how you interact with it before acquiring things for it. If you let your home evolve organically, rather than rushing to fill the empty space, it will be much more likely to suit your needs.
3. Forgiveness - Imperfection is more apparent in a small space because everything is in such close proximity. Forgive your space for not having the perfect layout. Forgive your furniture for being worn. Forgive yourself for your imperfections. This is real life. Nothing is perfect. Imperfection is what makes things interesting and beautiful.
ATVideo of the Day