My boyfriend and I have spent a number of evenings charting vacations (both real and dream) across the face of our living room map. I've learned more about geography since purchasing the map than I care to admit. These are just two small perks of using maps as decor.Here, from our house tours, are a few inspiring examples of maps as decor.
1. Deborah sliced a world map into three panels and mounted it on boards to display in her son Dragon's Lovely Lair. This is a great way to get a large paper map to lay flat, elevating it from a poster to artwork, with just a few simple steps.
2. Leah gives us a simple tutorial on how to make a globe pendant light. It's easy, inexpensive and the end result is so elegant. Check out Leah & Rich's Evolving Patina House Tour for more of their amazing style.
3. Beth's Charming Downsize incorporates a lovely framed collage in the living room. I've always thought that a handful of artistic maps would make a great art collection.
4. In Michael's Masculine & Modern Open Space, typical wall decor turns to the ceiling. Here world traveler Michael highlights his angled ceilings with a meaningful collection of maps.
5. The vintage roll-down map in Clytie & Claudia's Storied Pieces House Tour ties together their colorful dining room. For more vintage inspiration check out this roundup of vintage wall maps.
6. In Michael's Laid Back Cottage function and beauty are combined in his awesome diy map board. Check out the full tutorial on how to make a magnetic map board.
7. Collin's Fresh White Room displays a map from IKEA that acts like wallpaper, making a big statement in his serene space.
8. Scott's map collage of Paris really pops against his red wall. This is also a great example of how the framing technique plays a big part in the overall look of a piece.
(Images: as credited above.)