Lately, all we want to do on the weekends is lie by a pool. Problem is we have no pool of our own. Luckily, we have a generous friend with the most perfect pool -- landscaped with a nice swath of green lawn, multiple and comfortable chaise longues to flop on after swimming, a lush shaded pergola to escape to with a book or the paper, perfectly temperate water and a fridge full of beer -- who enjoys sharing it. But we're still a little shy...
- Ask before bringing friends: Don't assume it's a come one, come all situation.
- Bring food or beverages: Be generous and go for the good beer, the high-end potato chips, the hard-to-get cupcakes.
- Provide your own towels: Bring at least one per person.
- Make your visit short: Two hours is about right. Your host can always ask you to stay.
- Entertain yourself: Don't expect your host to provide entertainment. He's already providing the pool. Bring a book or just enjoy the quiet time.