Call us crazy, but we love packing. There's something about preparing to go on a trip, paring down and living out of a suitcase that makes us feel footloose and fancy-free. But we've got a high bar for our packing. We've got to be able to carry it on and it has to be able to meet any of the situations we might say yes to while we're traveling -- from a trip to the beach to a black tie dinner. Our packing tips after the jump...
- Start by sketching out a quick itinerary of what you'll be doing: Are there are any specific clothing needs (A dress for a black tie dinner? A bathing suit for the hotel pool?). We always include what we'll wear on the plane, in the car or on the train. We fill in what we can.
- Determine a color scheme and start to fill in the blank days: what goes with what we're wearing? We have a basic formula: 3 bottoms for 1 week's vacation with 3 tops per bottom. For two weeks, five bottoms with 3 tops per bottom (women should deduct a top and a bottom for each dress). If you do it right, everything should go with everything else so you can mix and match with ease.
- Lay everything out on the bed for one last quick look: Here's when we figure out accessories and shoes and edit, eliminating unnecessary pieces with the thought that we can always pick up stuff while we're away.
- Bundle: Following Gregory's advice, we now use the bundle method when packing. Our clothes goes in neat, stay unwrinkled and we've got plenty of room for souvenirs!
- Luggage: Pick up something that makes you smile. After too many experiences wondering if we'd picked up the correct black rolling bag, we donated it and went with a bright silver bag. Much easier to spot on a luggage carousel!
Related Packing Posts:
[Image: via jek in the box's Flickr, with a Creative Commons License]