Hostels were once primarily the domain of young people and backpackers, but today, many are working to attract business travellers and families, as well. Owners realize that all types of money-conscious travellers are interested in dynamic, social environments where they can catch a few winks, grab a bite to eat and meet interesting people. After all, isn't making new friends one of the great things about travelling? Add innovative design to the mix, and you’ve got a combination that's hard to beat. Be it a hostel or a hotel – today's traveller has more accomodation choices than ever!
What do you think? Do spaces like these make you rethink your idea of hostels??
• Goli + Bosi – Split, Croatia All this, and a view to die for...
• Lub d Hostel - Bangkok There's so much to love about this colorful hostel. From the quips on the the walls, to the concrete exterior with finger-paint relief.
• Jumbo Stay - Stockholm Where to start?? It's a jet, for goodness sakes! Complete with a cockpit honeymoon suite...
• MiNO – Migliarino, Italy An old factory, converted into an indoor camping space of fabric covered pods. It doesn’t get much cooler than that.
• Superbude - Hamburg You’ll never look at a toilet plunger or mousetrap the same way again.
• Living Lounge Hostel - Lisbon Recently voted the third best hostel on Hostelworld.com, each room is designed by a local artist
• DANHOSTEL – Copenhagen With 1,020 beds, this hostel is Europe’s biggest urban hostel. (Not to mention, the family-size guest rooms are fantastic.)
• Ostel – Berlin Simply in love with the 70’s vibe of this place!
• Oasis – Lisbon Designed and owned by former travellers, this uber-cool hostel has hi-tech amenities galore.
• Mama Shelter - Paris Philippe Starck was let loose to covert a graffiti-covered garage into a combined hostel/hotel. Need I say more??
• Stayokay - Rotterdam Rotterdam’s Cube Houses, designed by Piet Blom, were transformed into a Stayokay hostel, resulting in a creative use of space and a truly original accommodation experience.
• Miss Sophie’s - Prague The New Town’s hidden gem. Known for its charming environment, friendly staff and high standards of cleanliness.
• CitizenM – Amsterdam The modern décor and super-techy rooms set this airport hotel apart from the rest. But the clincher? A space-age shower...right in the room!
• Oasis, Palace Sevilla - Seville An oasis, indeed! Its grand gestures and thoughtful details make this hostel stand out the crowd.
• Meininger - Berlin This chain is changing the way travellers hostel in Germany by bringing a ever-so-cool experience to the everyday joe.
• Stay – Los Angeles A cheery hostel with an eye-popping palette designed to appeal to guests of all ages.
• Skanstulls Vandrarhem - Stockholm Crafted with a more than a touch of Swedish ingenuity - rooms are creatively arranged for maximum comfort.
• Chicago Getaway Hostel - Chicago With its great location and even better price, this hostel leaves you hard-pressed for a reason not to visit the Windy City!
MORE HOSTELS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Small Space Solutions from a Danish Hostel
• It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane…It’s a Hostel!
• Stylish Hotel: Ostel
• Ikea Hostel
• 4 Funky Design Ideas from a Funny Little Hostel