With Apartment Therapy's month of weekend escapes, staycations and daycations, we have been inspired to create a walkable day away from it all right in our own city. Los Angeles really is a walkable city and if you take a moment and plan a day of activities, you can walk your way into a day of fun, enjoyment and escape mode. Plus you will uncover city gems that you may have only driven by. Read more about planning your walkable escape.
5 tips for planning a walkable daycation:
1) Plan your route and turn off: Since you are walking, a bit of strategic planning will guide your day away. Definitely count in the length of the route so you can make it home too! And if you can, turn off the cell phone. Although you are in your own town, try to make the most of this day and really take a break.
2) Pack lightly: Pack up a backpack (versus a bag so you can use your whole back and shoulders to carry your goods) with a towel, games, books and a picnic lunch. If you can also carry a folding chair, go for it but a towel can do the trick.
3) Take it slow: Enjoy your walk. Instead of walking just to get to your first destination, really consider your surroundings and it in! You can discover more about your neighborhood and city this way.
4) Spot your spot: When you arrive at your destinations, simply scout a spot and relax. We spent hours at this pretty park, under these huge trees and really got away from it all - even though it was just a 10 minute walk from our home.
5) Reward your walk: On your walk home, plan in your route for a stop off for a sweet treat! You deserve it!
Find out how walkable your city is right here and plan that day!
For more inspiration to walk in Los Angeles: