Name: Eva Klein
Location: Marina District, San Francisco, California
Size: 1,800 square feet
Years lived in: 3
I first learned about Eva Klein through one of her designs. At an event at CookhouseSF, I was admiring the new décor (elegant in its simplicity) and asked Jen Wu, the owner, if she had done it herself. She immediately told me about Eva and put us in touch to meet. The next week I stopped by her apartment in San Francisco's Marina district, where she lives with her fiancée while they remodel their new home in Marin.
My first thought, after gushing over her French bulldog who greeted me at the bottom of the steps, was how spacious the two-bedroom apartment is (having lived in San Francisco for more than 10 years, I know these rich-on-space places are hard to come by). I was then struck by how perfectly placed everything was — Eva left no nook untouched. The symmetry of it all felt so harmonious, while the rich textures and colors and antique details (many sourced from Alameda Point Collectibles Faire) caught my eye at every turn. I was ready to move in instantly, if only she had asked.
Take a peek inside for decorating ideas from a designer who not only has a great eye but a warm, welcoming presence too. For more about Eva's work, visit her website. Enjoy.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Comfortable, Eclectic, Unexpected.
Inspiration: A love of history, travel, and fashion.
Favorite Element: My assortment of artwork and accessories from various artists, genres, and eras.
Biggest Challenge: Finding space for everything!
What Friends Say: That I'm a hoarder…
Biggest Embarrassment: All of the things I haven't replaced yet.
Proudest DIY: Reupholstering my mother's vanity chair, now being used as my desk chair.
Biggest Indulgence: My amazing Verellen Home 106" down-filled sofa.
Best Advice: Always pull the trigger on things you immediately love, or your will kick yourself later! Don't put time restraints on finding exactly what you're looking for…
Dream Sources: Jean de Merry, Ralph Pucci, Cassina, Gregorius Pineo, Ironies, Holly Hunt, Dessin Fournir
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Hallway and Entry, Benjamin Moore: Pashmina
• Living Room, Benjamin Moore: Gray
• Dining Room, Benjamin Moore: Coastal Fog
• Kitchen, Benjamin Moore: Seattle Mist
• Bedroom, C2 Paints: Dorian Gray
• Office, Benjamin Moore: Seattle Mist
• Painting: Original oil painting by artist Takao Tanabe.
• Pendant light: by Visual Comfort, from Eva Klein Design
• Bench: Custom, upholstered in Clarence House fabric.
• sofa: gregory 106" sofa, from Eva Klein Design
• Decorative pillows: custom in Clarence House fabrics.
• Lamps: oversized alabaster , from Eva Klein Design
• Coffee tables: estate sale finds.
• Planted pot: Alex Marshall
• Linen formal chairs: estate sale finds.
• Brass and resin side tables: by Master Craft, estate sale finds.
• Brass scultpures: by Curtis Jere, estate sale finds.
• Artwork: signed serigraphs by artist Raphael Bogarin, estate sale finds.
• Fainting sofa: family antique.
• Dining Table: Formations.
• Dining chairs: custom "Eva" chair by BSC, from Eva Klein Design
• Abstract painting: artist Jon Laddie Dill.
• Chandelier: Ventana two tier by Jonathan Adler, from Eva Klein Design
• Emperor chair and buffet: family antiques.
• Kitchen table: McGuire Furniture.
• Chandelier: Meurice Chandelier by Jonathan Adler, from Eva Klein Design
• Kitchen Chairs: Vintage Thomasville furniture, re-upholstered in shearling.
• Kitchen bench: Vintage, upholstered in Manuel Canovas fabric.
• Artwork: Signed abstract oil by Jasper Jackson, estate sale find.
• Bed: custom, upholstered in Holly Hunt fabric, from Eva Klein Design
• Dresser: McGuire Furniture.
• Brass mirrors: Dessin Fournir.
• Side table lamps: Ennis Brass web spheres, from Eva Klein Design
• Duvet and cases: Dakota Collection, Traditions by Pamela Kline, from Eva Klein Design
• Brass wall sculpture: vintage from Past Perfect SF
• Decorative pillows: vinatge silk ikat.
• abstract painting: artist Gregory Deane.
• Side tables: estate sale finds.
• Chandelier: Meurice pendant by Jonathan Adler, from Eva Klein Design
• Bedding: by Sefte Home, from Eva Klein Design
• Decorative pillows: antique fabric by Suenos.
• Silver side table, tapestry over bed, and artwork: estate sale finds.
• Chandelier: Ventana single tier by Jonathan Adler from Eva Klein Design
• Embroidered chair and gold mirror: family antiques.
• White lily pad candle tray: Imm Living, from keena co.
• Vintage Bitossi lidded chicken dish: Past Perfect SF.
• Orchid pot: Alex Marshall
• Wallpaper: Cole and Sons from Eva Klein Design
• Floating shelves: West Elm.
• Ceiling light: small Anemone by Jonathan Adler from Eva Klein Design
• Trompe l'oeil mirror: Ercole.
• Mongram towels: Matouk.
• White boy head stag vase: Imm Living from keena co.
• Loveseat: family antique, reupholsterd in Holly Hunt fabric.
• Coffee and side table: Baker Furniture.
• Crystal lamp: by Jan Showers from Eva Klein Design
• Desk and chair: family antiques, chair reupholsterd in Marharam fabric.
• Dresser and mirror: estate sale finds.
• Artwork: by artist Mose Tolliver from Marcia Weber Art Objects.
• Flower vase: vintage by Rosenthal, from Past Perfect SF.
(Images: Theresa Gonzales)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.