Art & Design Events...
• August is escapes month at Apartment Therapy!
The Astroland Archives Photography Exhibit: Back to the Future
• The Coney Island History Project presents an exhibit of images and ephemera from the earliest days of Astroland, Coney's space-age amusement park.
• Through September 1st
• The Coney Island History Project's Exhibition Center under the Cyclone Roller Coaster, 1000 Surf Avenue, Brooklyn
• Collection of sixty design objects carefully chosen by the artist in collaboration with some prestigious firms which manufactured them.
• Through September 5th
• Italian Cultural Institute of New York
"One Week Only" at White Columns
• White Columns, New York's oldest alternative art space, hosts artists Clara Jo, Lanya Snyder, Beny Wagner and Emma Spertus who will each create a space that reflects themselves as artists.
• Through August 2nd, 6-8pm
• White Columns, 320 W. 13th St., 212.924.4212
Home Delivery: Fabricating the Modern Dwelling
• Five Architecture firms have built prefab homes in the parking lot next to the MoMa. Inside, prefab projects spanning the past 180 years fill the galleries.
• Through October 20
• Museum of Modern Art, 11 West 53rd St.; 212.708.9400
Tapestry in Architecture: Creating Human Spaces
• Highlighting eleven intricately woven, delicately patterned works designed to complement contemporary public interiors
• Through August 14th
• Japan Society, 333 East 47th Street, 212.832.1155
Buckminster Fuller: Starting with the Universe
• R. Buckminster Fuller, whose theories and innovations traversed the worlds of architecture, visual art, literature, mathematics, molecular biology, and environmental science and have had a deep impact on all of those fields.
• Through September 21st
• Whitney Museum, 945 Madison Avenue
• Over 200 vendors of vintage furniture, clothing and antiques alongside new designs by local makers of everything from jewelry to textiles.
• Every Sunday, 10am to 5pm (rain or shine)
• Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School on Lafayette Ave. between Clermont and Vanderbilt Ave., Fort Greene, Brooklyn
ABC Home Launches Earth Day Campaign
• ABC Home is partnering with 2004 Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Wangari Maathai's Green Belt Movement on its Carbon Poverty Reduction Program. For every piece of goodwood furniture purchased at ABC Home, a tree will be planted in Kenya to replenish rapidly diminishing biodiversity.
• 888 Broadway, 212.473.3000