Building a green roof on your home is an incredible way to save money, reduce your energy bills, and even get a tax abatement. And now you can learn how to Green-It-Yourself: Greenroof Workshop is teaming with Eco-Brooklyn to teach local home and building owners how to build a lightweight DIY greenroof. They'll provide step-by-step instructions on the planning, design and building processes. Jump below for dates and all the details...
There are two upcoming DIY Greenroof workshops on Saturday June 27th and Saturday July 11th from 10:00 - 5:00 pm. Workshops will be led by Atom Cianfarani and Lori Gibbs, the creators of the Green-It-Yourself: Greenroof Workshop. Cost is $600.
What you'll learn:
• The step-by-step process of both planning and building your own greenroof
• Supplies / Material sourcing information and recommendations
• Planning, construction, and installation techniques
• How to apply for a New York State tax abatement and save even more on your greenroof
• Growing Medium mixtures and recommended plantings
• How doing it yourself will save you thousands of dollars on installation
• Get educated and be able to gage greenroof methods and principles on your own
• Receive a Green-It-Yourself Workbook and videos that lead you step-by-step through the entire process
• Build and install a greenroof before the day ends
• See Eco-Brooklyn's other affordable green renovation techniques
• Meet other like-minded home owners, green-enthusiasts, and NYC residents
• Lunch and refreshments (organic & fair trade)
• Green-It-Yourself building kit (some essential tools and roof accessories needed for your future roof installation)
There will also be a Greenroof Basics 101 course on Saturday August 8th from 10:00 -11:00 am at the Park Slope Food Coop. Members and non-members welcome.
Get all the information on Greenroofs, the workshops, and other details at Greenroof Workshop.
Image via Treehugger