Ever since the news that Polaroid would stop producing film, we've had an empty spot in our hearts that only that instantly-developing square of white could fill. (Luckily in the meantime, a company has taken over the production of Polaroid-style film, though they're still working on getting the developing chemicals right.) But after seeing and talking with someone on the streets of our city snapping away with a tiny instant film camera, we were inspired to explore Unplggd's archives for the very best in film photography.
Reconciling Analog and Digital
People love film cameras for different reasons, be it a perception of quality or warmth, or plain old nostalgia. These posts explore how we reconcile our desire for print film while living in a digital-dominated era.
- Lens Filters: Forgotten Photography Tech
- Strangely Analog: Still Using Film in a Digital Age
- Polaroid: Film & Digital Fun - CES 2011
- Retro Tech Gadgets From An Electronic Free Era
- Instant Photo Print Gratification
- Make Memories By Going Old-School With Your Camera
With its fun colors and emphasis on imperfection, Lomography came into vogue with a huge bang. While we might now be achieving the "Lomo look" with apps (see below), nothing can ever quite replace the feel of plastic bodies of these cameras in your hand.
- Get the "Vintage Look" With a Lomo
- Lomography Gallery Store Los Angeles
- Re(al)view: Lomography Diana+ Camera
More Toy and Mini Cameras
The craze for Lomo cameras also kicked off a desire for mini and toy cameras, be they film or digital. Here are some of our favorites.
- Tech Toys You Can Fit Into Your Pocket
- New CIA Site Displays Real-Life James Bond Spy Toys
- Two More Tiny Designer Digital Cameras
- 3 Fun DIY Camera Kits
Can't get enough of the instant film look? Here are some ways to incorporate it into your home decor.
- The New Polaroid as Décor
- Inspiration: Take Out That Vintage Camera For Decoration
- Cool Vintage Film Tins Find New Use In Your Space
- Great Looking Curtains Made From Film Slides
- For the Love of Instant Film: Decor Polaroid Style
Film and Art
People have even taken to exploring the use of film and tape as a medium for artistic expression; check out these talented folks and try your own hand at some DIY projects.
- Cassette Tape and Film Reel Celebrity Portraits
- 3 Cool DIY Projects From 35mm Film
- Try Polaroid Invites For Your Next Party
Lastly, do you want that vintage print film look, without the equipment or smelly developing fluids? Try out these apps for Android and iPhone to give your snaps the same look.