There was a time in the not-too-distant past when lime green, sunny yellow, and tangerine orange seemed like appealing bedroom colors. Nothing like a jolt of colored energy first thing in the morning, right? Well, colors that seem vibrant and cheery when painting them on midday can turn garish at night and jarring in the AM. One too many early morning headaches have made us consider more serene dream schemes. Enjoy the calm emanating form these quiet, neutral spaces...
• 1 As refreshing Taupes, layers of white, and hints of dusty aqua create a soothing oasis.
• 2 The neutral scheme of whites and creams provide a gentle backdrop for the sepia photo and spunky, eye-catching light fixture.
• 3 Birds egg blues are a lovely way to introduce color into a neutral space while still allowing the spirit of calm to reign. Here, the Tiffany boxes and touches of blue in the painting are enough to enliven the otherwise spare room.
• 4 This is one of the bedrooms from Ina Garten's (aka the Barefoot Contessa) beautiful barn. Simplicity, a variety of whites, and understated details like the tone on tone pillowcase borders make this neutral room, designed by Robert Stilin, soothing rather than bland.
• 5 Ok, the bed alone is gorgeous, but the touches of calm blues bring the white scheme to life.