Fabri-Tac-tastic, Part II: No-Sew Window Treatment Redos

Fabri-Tac-tastic, Part II: No-Sew Window Treatment Redos

Leah Moss
Nov 3, 2009

On the heels of yesterday's no-sew Fabri-Tac pillow cheat, come two equally simple window covering updates, both made with household fabric cast-offs: a top bed sheet and a shower curtain. While I save up for the perfect window treatments, these easy, no-sew updates are saving my visual sanity...

Roman Shades:

A few years ago, when I was young and naive, I bought two "linen look" roman shades for ten dollars at a discount store only to open them and realize that they lacked everything I liked about linen. They were basically stiff textured vinyl. While I couldn't put them up in our home as-is, I knew I'd find a use for them in time. Then, when we opted to go European and do away with top sheets in favor of duvet covers in our daughters' room I suddenly had an ample amount of fabric to create window coverings. I immediately dragged out the horrid linen-look shades and went to work...

First I laid the sheet flat on the ground and placed one roman shade on top to measure how much material I'd need. It turns out that one twin size sheet was the perfect amount of fabric for two shades when I cut the sheet in half horizontally.
Next, to create a crisp edge, I folded over and ironed each edge of the fabric so that it folded over the roman shade.
After, I squirted fabri-tac on the bottom edge and two side edges, then smoothed the folded edges on top of the glue and help them to adhere.
Lastly I used a staple gun to attach the top edge to the wooden mounting beam at the top of the shade.

Super easy, super cheap, and much nicer than the Pottery Barn roman shades that we had on their windows previously— they bit the dust with weeks of putting them up! I definitely prefer the soft draping fabric to the stiff plastic-y "linen-look" originals! You can employ this trick to update any existing roman shade that needs a face-lift, or apply the same concept to cheap matchstick blinds. OR you can get even craftier and make a roman shade out of mini-blinds, fabri-tac, and your textile of choice...

Panels:

When we moved in I bought some very inexpensive panels for our dining room in a moment of Target retail therapy weakness, only to discover three months later—it took me that long to put them up!— that they were too short. Meanwhile the return date had passed and we were already focusing our monetary efforts on other areas of our home, so I decided to make-do. Luckily we had some coordinating material left over from an old shower curtain, which was just different enough to add interest and look purposeful, but similar enough not to attract too much attention...

First, I hung the original panels and measured from the bottom of the curtain to the floor (in my case it was 9 1/2 inches)
Next, I cut the old shower curtain into foot long strips the width of each panel (48 inches)
After, I folded over a three centimeter lip on the bottom edge and two ends of the shower curtain strips, pressed the fold with an iron for a straight edge, and added a thin layer of fabric-tac to the inside to create a clean hem.
Then, I took down the original panel and laid it on a flat surface, and added a thin layer of fabri-tac to the back bottom edge— it needs to be a thin layer of glue or else the glue may seep through and show on the front of the fabric.
After, I pressed the top, un-hemmed edge of the shower curtain strip onto the bottom edge of the panel.
Voila! Floor length curtains!

Aside from the obvious benefit of having window coverings that we don't despise, saving money on these little projects is allowing up to save up for more substantial domestic goods...like a new sewing machine!

(Images: Leah Moss)

Created with Sketch.