Hooray! It's Travel and Local Living Month here on Re-Nest, so we've compiled a list of eco-friendly rolling suitcases for all you jet-setting, get-up-and-go types. Whether you've got oodles of out-of-town weddings, a far-flung adventure or a closer-to-home staycation—a Brooklyn-based colleague recently told me about the weekend-long trips to Manhattan she and her husband plan each year—we've got your green travel needs covered. (And keep an eye out next week for our roundup of eco-friendly duffel bags!)(Shown above the jump, from left to right)
1. Each suitcase in the three-piece EcoCase set ($450) from Heys is made from 100 percent recycled ABS plastic. The designs feature 360-degree swivel wheels—perfect for navigating cramped airport halls.
2. Patagonia used recycled polyester, made of recycled soda bottles, unused second-quality fabrics and worn-out garment fabrics, to create its MLC Wheelie ($229). The suitcase, whose name stands for "Maximum Legal Carry-on," comes equipped with tons of zipped pockets, including a fleece-lined one for sunglasses.
3. Planet Earth's line of eco-friendly luggage includes its 21" Pullman and 21" Duffel Bag ($99 and $40, respectively), made of non-toxic, low-chemical and durable 1200 Denier polyester.
4. The Hemisphere Ultralight 25" Expandable Wheeled Luggage ($200) from Sherpani is made of 67 percent recycled fabric and 30 percent recycled aluminum framing with non-toxic dyes. Inside, a separate compartment partitioned by a mesh divider keeps folded clothes unwrinkled.
5. Sierra Club partnered with Ricardo Beverly Hills to design the eco-friendly Muir Pass Collection from zero-PVC fabric and recycled packaging materials. The 21" Exp. WheelAboard ($100) keeps clothes wrinkle-free with its suiter "Any Hanger" clip and is expandable by two inches.
6. From American Tourister, the Eco Collection 28" Upright ($59) is made of PVC-free cotton canvas with a bamboo floor.