Art should always add good-looking and personal detail to your home, but my favorite prints elicit my smile and sometimes a little laugh.
Clearly everyone will have different preferences and reactions. That said, I don't know anyone who could feel gloomy looking at that beach photograph (see how good the giant version from the same series looks in a real home.)
When you do identify art that creates that positive feeling, do yourself a favor and position it where you'll see it often. I have the second print shown, by Kate Pugsley, hanging just inside my entryway to greet me every day (and remind me to take it easy).
1. Praia Piquina 06/08/09 14h01 by Christian Chaize, $50
2. Paper Bag Head by KateP, $20
3. Angus the French Bulldog by Sibling Rivalrie, $50
4. Clouds Poster 2 by Debbie Carlos, $50
5. You Look Lovely by Keep Calm Gallery, about $23
6. Piglet by Sharon Montrose, $25
7. Ginza by Fernanda Montoro, $35
8. Dancing at the Tiny Bubble Room by Matte Stephens, $60
9. Life is Good by Hello Jenuine, $16
10. Rainbow Toe Socks by Jamie Shelman, $25
Images as linked