Modern Wing, where we had the chance to see Ronan and Erwin Bouroullec's felt Clouds. We'd written about these modular felt tiles before, but in person they were even more beautiful than we'd expected, and they inspired us to go looking for other felt wall ideas that could be re-envisioned as a DIY project.
- Clouds by Ronan and Erwin Bouroullec for Kvadrat: These modular felt tiles can be locked together in different combinations that hang from the ceiling, plaster the wall, or grow from the floor. They're expensive at around $300 a pack (meaning an installation like the one shown above can cost thousands). We'd love to try a smaller DIY version at home.
- North Tiles by Ronan and Erwin Bouroullec for Kvadrat: An earlier incarnation of the Bouroullecs' felt tile system, these tiles are colorful interlocking rectangles that provide soundproofing, insulation, and just look cool. Although still complex, this might be a more practical DIY project than the Clouds system.
- Grid Wall Pocket by Mio: This felt wall pocket looks good and provides storage on the wall. Manufactured by Mio, it costs $70 and has good DIY potential.
- Felt "Scale" Surface by Selina Rose: UK-based Selina Rose creates incredible layered surfaces using felt, and her sense of color is spot on. We love the peeling scales of felt she designed for this paneled wall.
- Felt "Connected" Surface by Selina Rose: Here's another version of Selina Rose's wall panels. This one feels more like regular wallpaper, with cut-out dots layered on top of a colorful felt backing.