Unless you are going for the industrial look with a cool retro or vintage version, the standard metal office filing cabinet is boring at best. But even as we whittle our paper trails away, filing cabinets remain a necessity. And with all those wonderful tables and desks out there, it seems a shame to limit ourselves to desks with built-in filing cabinets. Happily, there are some efficient but inoffensive filing systems out there.
Here are some simple, compact and versatile storage and filing systems for your home office. While they range from traditional to modern, they are all white. Why? Because there is something clean and aesthetically unobtrusive about white furniture in an office. White is more likely to blend into and brighten up a workspace. Some of these filing cabinets double as benches or ottomans. Others are filing cabinets built into compact workstations. Some have wheels and others can easily fit under a desk or table. Many are also available in other colors. And most of them are subtle and neutral enough to cast a spotlight elsewhere in the room: On a sleek modernist desk or a funky floor lamp.
1. Incognito compact office from Crate & Barrel. Ash wood cabinetry conceals a compact workspace. Hidden assets like a laptop/keyboard/writing desk pullout, file and storage drawers, one adjustable/removable shelf for CPU or open cubbies with cord management cutouts. Printer shelf extends on glides.
$999. On the right is the excellent storage ottoman from Ballard Designs. The filing cabinet that doesn't look like a filing cabinet. In addition to a space for filing documents, the bench has an interior pocket holds a portable work-surface and there is a spot to store office supplies. Can be covered in a variety of fabrics for an additional fee. $299+.
2. A simple, inexpensive filing solution from Young House Love.
3. TPS white file cabinet from CB2, $159.
4. Aspvik filing cabinet from IKEA, $199.
5. Lateral files from West Elm, $279+.
6. Spotlight filing cabinet from Crate & Barrel. $299.
7.Spotlight filing credenza from Crate & Barrel, $599.
8. Martha Stewart's DIY office in a chest. The clever Ms. Stewart has transformed a basic chest into a mini-office and filing system.
9. Bedford lateral file cabinet from Pottery Barn, $499.
10. Whitney cabinet from Pottery Barn, $249.
Images: As linked above.