Hey there kiddies, it's National Fire Prevention Week, and today we're here to talk about fire safety! Woodrow Wilson first proclaimed a National Fire Safety Day in 1920 and since 1922 National Fire Prevention Week has occured Sunday through Saturday period in which October 9 falls. This year from October 9th through the 15th take the time to learn about fire safety and ensure that you and your valuables (some of us are talking about people here, you techies) are kept safe from the threat of fire!
The National Fire Protection Association has a great website about Fire Prevention Week and is a great resource for fire safety and prevention. Sparky the Fire Dog is their animated mascot. Check him out in these cute little public service announcements aimed at your kids but useful to know and actually kind of interesting to watch.
Sparky the Fire Dog - Fire Escape Plan
Sparky the Fire Dog - Get Low and Go
Sparky the Fire Dog - Smoke Alarms
Check out some great articles from Unplggd to familiarize yourself with great fire prevention and safety techniques, equipment, and tips.
- Not Everything Is Smoke & Mirrors: Best in Smoke Alarms
- Why Your Home Should Have 4 Alarm Systems
- Your Smoke Detector Questions, Answered
- The Svelte Kidde Silhouette Smoke Alarm
- Smoke Detector--Now with Wasabi Smell-O-Vision!
- Get a Text to Tell You That You Definitely Left the Oven On
- How Many Fire Extinguishers Should You Have?
- Know How to Buy The Right Fire Extinguisher
- Fire Design Fire Extinguishers
- Stylish Fire Extinguisher
- Pinqy Fire Extinguisher
- 'Smokey' Concept Silences Smoke (False) Alarms
- Snap Alarm Tries, Fails to Improve Smoke Alarm Design
Fire Prevention In Your Home
- The Danger of Plugging In Too Many Devices
- 3 Fire Dangers Hidden Inside Your Walls
- Batteries to Blame in 23 Percent of Fatal House Fires
- Buried in Snow? Make Sure Your Furnace Vent Is Not
- Fire Safety Tip: Don't Leave Your Dishwasher Unattended