The first day of school is a mix of emotions for parents and kids and definitely a moment worth preserving. Last year when my son started preschool I did remember to take a photo of him in his cute little backpack on our front stoop, but it was just an iPhone photo and not that remarkable. I'll still treasure it, but maybe I should step it up this year.
Here are seven ideas I found online of inspiring ideas for first day of school photos:
1. Rachel of Smile and Wave decorated chalkboards she already had hanging up as a photo backdrop for her son Sebastien's first day of kindergarten last year.
2. Kids are often excited to pick out their outfit for the first day back to school. Documenting your child in the outfit on the first and last day of school is a sweet way to observe their growth over the year.
3. You can make up your own sign for your kids to hold our find a free printable online. This one comes from Chickabug.
4. Raechel of Finding My Feet not only took a photo of her son on the first and last day of school, but she digitally added in some of his favorite things at the time to create a snapshot "diary."
5. Kami of No Biggie made chalkboard speech bubbles which she can reuse on any special occasion, in this case for her daughter's first day of second grade.
6. It's harder to get older kids to participate in the somewhat corny first day of school photo tradition. Christina Dieselberg took this photo of her son on his last day of high school posing with a photo of himself on his first day of kindergarten. You could use this same idea to have your child hold a photo of themselves from each first day prior.
7. These kids look slightly less than thrilled to be posing for dad on their first day of school, but being one of three sisters, I love the idea of capturing a photo of siblings together each first day of school.