For those of us who save our wine corks, here's a great way to put them to use: easy to make trivets to protect your counters and tabletops from hot dishes! Here are five ideas that are easy to recreate.
Cork is naturally heat and moisture resistant, the makings for a great trivet. It's also incredibly green. Pictured above from left to right, here are some DIY trivet ideas for your home:
- Picture Frame Cork Trivet: Have an old picture frame lying around? Simply glue the corks directly to the glass, or backing.
- Wine Cork Trivet by Ciclus: The Spanish design company Ciclus makes an aluminum tray that you fill with your old wine corks to create a hot plate or trivet.
- DIY trivets from Design*Sponge: These trivets and coasters require little more than slicing corks and gluing them together.
- Bound Wine Cork Trivet by CraftyNest: This trivet requires no cutting.
- Round Wine Cork Trivet Kit by Wine Enthusiast: Like Ciclus, this is a kit that helps you put your wine corks to use in a nicely made frame.