The first of Real Simple's five minute decorating ideas is easy and free: they suggest taking your family holiday cards from years past and displaying them in chronological order (I think they're presuming these are family photo cards). If you don't have any, then a simple dig-through of your favorite photos that you've never bothered framing could be a fun alternative: "clothespin them to a long, slim stick suspended between two vases. Put them in chronological order and, if you want, date the pins." More ideas below:
- Posts of Christmas past
- Clementine decorations: "Take several lengths of heavy-gauge wire, knot one end of each, and string through a clementine and a jingle bell (yes, your hands may get a bit sticky). Twist all the wires into a cluster and secure with a large bow. Hang on a newel post or your front door."
- Pin mittens along a bookshelf or mantel.
- Hang a painted magnolia wreath.
- Display some beeswax pinecone candles (or better yet, collect some real pinecones).
- Personalize a wreath with your initial in the middle.
Find all of the five-minute ideas here at Real Simple.