Every space in our homes has become more high tech over the last decade. The one outlier? The kitchen and dining room seem to lag behind. It's partially a good thing. Using smartphones at the dinner table is just rude. But these alternatives are well-mannered and a lot of fun.
Here are five ways to use a tablet in your kitchen right now:
- On-Demand Recipe Conversion: Ever find an amazing new recipe from another country but realize it's in the metric system? Recipe Convert is your new best friend. The free app lets you import measurements and gives you the conversions.
- Watch Your Favorite Cooking Web Show: There are an incredible number of awesome web shows dedicated to the kitchen. Kitchen Vignettes from PBS Digital is a particularly inspiring one to check out.
- Display a Menu: With Google Drive's Presentations, you can create an awesome menu for your guests and display it with complete ingredient listings. This way, food allergens are out in the open.
- Skype Cook with a Food Professional: Many personal chefs and specialty food bloggers are now offering professional lessons through video chat. You can even cook an entire recipe together from each of your kitchens!
- Create a Kid Zone: One of the challenges of entertaining with kids is that they don't tend to have a zone of their own. Get the kids involved with games like Cooking Mama, which gamify cooking so in a few years they can help out!