All the usual culprits had been taken care of— the bathroom sparkled, the kitchen was as clean as a kitchen can be while preparing a feast, and dust was at a minimum. But some areas we sorely overlooked...
• Door frames. In a relatively small home, a lot of conversations seem to take place while standing between rooms. The doorway between our kitchen and dining room is a particularly popular spot, with guests wanting to talk to us while we cook but not wanting to get in the way. As a result, the door frame is covered with fingerprints and more. A quick wipe down does the trick.
• Door knobs and the space surrounding them. This is probably already on your cleaning list, but somehow we neglected it on ours. We have little kids, and it's a rule that they wash their hands when they come in the house, so the door to the bathroom seem to get particularly messy.
• Refrigerator handle. We have a white refrigerator which shows every fingerprint— not a pretty look for the place that holds the majority of our food.
• Hallway and Stairwell Walls. Living with kids, these places always seem to bear their marks. During our Thanksgiving party I actually noticed a whole hand print in the hallway. How does that even happen? Next party it won't!
• Utensil drawer How on earth do these get so messy? It grosses me out, but we constantly seem to be washing crumbs and the like from our utensil caddy. Do it before it grosses out that unsuspecting guest on search for an extra spoon too.
(Image: Real Simple)