Creative minds have come up with many ingenious ways to utilize the square footage underneath the stairs — a space that goes to waste in a lot of homes. I searched out the best strategies for creating storage in this common problem area, and here are some of the most useful concepts amd solutions I've come across:
1. Cubbies You can pack in the maximum amount of stuff with this arrangement, and it can be done in an aesthetically pleasing way, too — like with colorful books.
2. Office This is the most multifunctional idea as it houses shelving, desk space, seating, and other kinds of storage.
3. Roll-outs The standard rolling mechanism on a drawer can be used in novel ways if you run out of room for clothes in the closet.
4. Wine It would be awkward to store many types of things in the triangular space under the stairs, but wine bottles can conform to any configuration.
5. Paneled doors A functional way to break up the monotony of painted drywall, building decorative paneled doors allows you to hide your junk away almost seamlessly.
With additional reporting by my dad, Jack Werbler.
Images: 1. Indiemoon; 2. Geheause; 3. Just a Girl; 4. Jill Seidner Interior Design; 5. AK-Magnolia House