Quinoa is one of our favorite quick-cooking whole grains. It's nutty and fresh, and it has a fine, fluffy texture very similar to couscous. It's wonderful in so many recipes, and it's packed full of protein and nutrients too! Here are five easy ways to incorporate more quinoa into your daily eating...
Quinoa comes in many different varieties, including the red kind pictured above.
What's your favorite way to eat quinoa? (Quinoa, by the way, is pronounced KEEN-wha.) If you're trying to find it to try it, look in the bulk bins at a good health food store, or at Whole Foods. It will be less expensive there, and you can buy just a cup or two to to try it out. One cup of quinoa uncooked will be about three cups cooked.
- Just plain - Quinoa has a lovely nutty flavor, and it can cook in less than 20 minutes, so we think it's a great alternative to pasta or rice for a quick meal. Here's how to cook quinoa.
- Stuffed into vegetables - Quinoa makes a great stuffing. We love the quinoa-stuffed dumpling squash pictured at the top of this post (so great for fall!) and we also really enjoy this quinoa and mushroom stuffed zucchini. This gorgeous dish of chile relleno is also stuffed with quinoa.
- Substituted for another grain - Quinoa has a similar texture when cooked to other fine and fluffy grains like bulgur wheat. So it's great substituted in dishes that call for bulgur, like in this quinoa tabbouleh. Here's another version of tabouli from a reader.
- In a grain salad - Quinoa is a fabulous base for easy, quick, filling grain salads. We have a whole roundup of them here, and one of our favorites is this Quinoa Salad with Grapes.
- For breakfast - Quinoa's high protein content and quick cooking time make it a great breakfast! Try it with a little maple syrup and a handful of nuts, or with a fried egg on top!
Here are a few more good tips and resources on quinoa. What's your favorite way to cook this wonderful grain?
More 5 Ways to Eat Posts:
These posts are all ingredients paired with Social Workout's daily exercise over at their Fall Challenge!
(Images: Emily Ho)
posted originally from: TheKitchn