Name: Ross Resnick, owner of FleaPop, and his wife Evelyn
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, California
Size: 1,300 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year; Owned
Oh Craigslist! For a buyer, it can be a goldmine, but for a seller? Not so much. There are the buyers who make arrangements and then never show up, or who offer you $50 for the rug you've already deeply discounted at $150, or who show up with large bills and expect you to break them. These are some of the problems that Ross and Evelyn Resnick experienced when they were selling their furniture in preparation for their move from San Francisco to Los Angeles last year.
Ross, never a man to let an opportunity slip through his fingers (his entrepreneurial spirit had previously birthed Roaming Hunger, which allows you to find — and book — your favorite food trucks), thought: "There has to be a better way". And thus was born FleaPop.
Part Craigslist, part Etsy, part online Flea Market (hence the name), FleaPop is an online collective of furniture and accessory stores that allows you to shop the homes of people with great taste. With anything from vintage to mid-century modern, it's a new way to buy from, sell to, and connect with others via the exchange of once-loved goods. Think the community of Etsy, but more curated; the diversity of Craigslist without the creepiness. You can find anything from high-end (the most expensive item runs $10,000) to positively quirky (in the market for a life-sized Batman?).
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Our current home is very modern and minimal, which we love, but we are huge vintage junkies too! We appreciate an eclectic space. We’re also huge on conversational pieces, whether it be a papier-mâché rhino above the fireplace or a massive light up peace sign in our bedroom. We like to make a statement!
Inspiration: Mid Century style, mixed in with Urban Zen and French Country. Jonathan Adler’s happy chic Palm Springs meets West Palm style is a huge inspiration too.
Favorite Element: The indoor outdoor feel. Our outdoor space is a continuation of our indoor living spaces, and we absolutely love that. We’re big on bringing the outdoors in.
Biggest Challenge: Our guest room! It’s a major work in progress. It’s a mix of all our flea markets finds, mismatched pillows, stacks of design magazines, garden stools and the list goes on. It serves as our so-called “second closet” if you will.
What Friends Say: Our friends love our home. We always get compliments on the mint green walls in the living room. The living/entertaining space is bright and light between all the creams, whites and mint, and guests love it. We’d like to think it’s very inviting! The guest bathroom is also a crowd favorite.
Proudest DIY: When we moved in our deck was literally falling off the hillside…we would like to say we rebuilt it ourselves…we didn’t got to design it…it’s our proudest “non-DIY” DIY!
Biggest Indulgence: Our Jonathan Adler Woodhouse Bed. It took some convincing to make the splurge, but we go to bed happy every night!
Best Advice: Buy pieces that you love and it will all work out in the end. Even if it doesn’t “go," if you love it you’ll make it work… trust us!
Dream Sources: Ummm... Fleapop of course!
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Pratt & Lambert...don't remember the color names though!
- L Shape Couch from Blueprint
- Moroccan Ottoman from Jonathan Adler
- Bamboo Flooring
- CB2 Shag Rug
- Peace Sign Pillow - Jonathan Adler
- Fruit Bowl, Candlesticks, Menorah - Michael Aram
- Fireplace - Peruvian Stone
- Kosta Boda Vases
- Kosta Boda Crystal Skull Votives
- West Elm Paper Mache Rhino - FleaPop
- Watercolor - Grandma Sydell
- Navah Shoham Ketubbah in the hallway
- Kitchen & Living room cherrywood media wall unit - custom
- Living room and guest room window treatmens - F & S fabrics
White Panton Chairs - FleaPop
- Kitchen Countertops: Green Soap stone
- Stove - Fridgedaire
- Tiles thoughout house by Ann Sacks
- Outdoor Chairs - Ikea
- Outdoor Umbrella - Ikea
- Barstools - CB2
- Paper Mache brown & white floral pieces - FleaPop
- Woodhouse bed - Jonathan Adler
- Baroque Night tables - Modani
- Gray lacquer dresser - CB2
- Night table lamps - Room Service
- Light Up Peace Sign - Junk Gypsies
Thanks, Ross & Evelyn!
(Images: Abigail Stone; wide angle shots via FleaPop)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.