We know, we know, the official start of winter is a full month or so away--but we really love winter. Perhaps it's because we had milder winters growing up (lows around 32 degrees, which is actually pretty bearable). Or maybe it's because we romanticized every John Hughes movie where winter was itself a character. So when we saw this inspirational drawing by Koko Studios, it kick- started our excitement for the upcoming holidays. Read a few of our favorite winter favorites after the jump.
When we saw this simple image of a girl standing underneath a strand of lights on a winter night, we were instantly reminded of our fond associations with winter and what it means to us. This drawing is a perfect way to bring the winter indoors (especially for those of us that like to keep the red and green decorations to a minimum). Since we count ourselves as one of the few that actually associates November 1st with the start of winter and the impending holiday season (Christmas music and all) we thought we'd share a few of our favorite winter things...
- Gathering pine cones to help start a fire in the fireplace
- Daylight Savings
- A crisp, cold evening bundled up outdoors with friends
- Watching Home Alone and When Harry Met Sally (marathon style)
- Hot chocolate and lattes with pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- Holiday Parties with mistletoe
- Ice Skating In Pershing Square
- Red and green pepper jelly and cream cheese
- Visiting The Grove's enormous Christmas tree
- Sitting in the dark with just the Christmas tree lit up (and keeping it up well after New Year's Eve)
- Coming inside from the cold
- Christmas music
Do you get into the holiday spirit early like we do? What helps kick-start your winter enthusiasm?
Related Seasonal Posts