• 1 Quite a few of Julie's accessories, like the throw pillows on her Ikea chairs, come from Skinny Laminx. The Elica lamp hanging over the range is actually also a self-contained ventilation unit, eliminating the need for ugly ductwork.
• 2 The sign on the side of the island reads, "Spitting on the floor is forbidden"; it comes from Julie's husband's great-grandfather's margarine factory!
• 3 Julie went a little Jackson Pollock on her Ikea pendant lamps with some nail polish. This seems like a project that could've been a disaster, but we love how it turned out! Especially nice hanging next to those vinyl wall stickers (the protea design from Skinny Laminx).
• 4 The island is an old 21-drawer shop counter; Julie and her husband discovered it at an antique shop. They painted it white and added the red knobs and the oak top.
• 5 Bright Ikea chairs look great with the more muted tones of a Moroccan rug. The artwork hanging above the fireplace and to the right is a picture Julie's husband drew of his father when he was nine.
Visit Julie's blog, Moments of Perfect Clarity, for more of her photos, and for stories of her life as an American in Denmark.