Do you lack a fabulous focal point for your living room? Or — is your current focal point just plain lacking? Picking one element in your living room design to grab the most attention and be the thing that the rest of your design revolves around can have an uplifting effect on an entire room (and makes for more sophisticated spaces). But don't let a small (or no) budget get you down — there are plenty of DIY things you can do to create a stunning focal point in your space (or better the one you already have!). Here are solid ideas for four powerful, attention-grabbing spots in your living room!
Did you luck out and get a fireplace in your current home, but are kind of bummed because it's sort of outdated, drab or not your style? Find inspiration in these seven fireplaces that were completely transformed by real folks. Some totally changed the materials and other used only a simple coat of paint to change the look.
- Kristi's DIY Reclaimed Wood Fireplace
- A Faux Fireplace Gets One Inexpensive and Easy Update
- A Fireplace Transformation
- Patience's Fairy Tale Fireplace Makeover
- Janice's Longer Than Expected But Totally Worth It New Fireplace
- Marvelously Moody Dark Fireplace Wall
- Fireplace Facelift
The sofa — and the presentation of this central seating spot — can be quite the tone setter in a space. Here are some before & after ideas to make an affordable sofa that will become a focal point or make the one you have better!
- Sofa Makeover
- A Frumpy to Fabulous Reupholstered Couch Transformation
- IKEA's Ektorp Leaves Bland Behind
- From Dark and Dated to a Daring Dyed Sofa
- Loveseat Avoids Reupholstery Redo
- Kata's Out of Control Couch Redo
- Pallets, from Scrap to Sofa
Art, whether it's on top of the fireplace, over the sofa or just hanging on the wall right across from your living room's doorway is a powerful way to grab a viewer's attention. DIY some art to stop hearts and make your living room even more potent.
- 10 Impressive DIY Wall Art Projects from Our House Tours
- Large DIY Wall Art Projects for Really, Really Cheap
- Before & After: Maura's $13 DIY Wall Art!
- Try It Today: DIY, 3D Art Ideas for Bold, Textured Walls!
Think a coffee table can't be a focal point? It's rarer than a larger piece of furniture, but a coffee table can definitely be the thing that anchors an entire living room together. These before and after DIY coffee table ideas below could be applied to just about any coffee table you may already have (plus one to make from a free building material).