Otherworldly and animal-themed decor has been a trend for a while now, but the new Harry Potter preview has us thinking about wizards, dragons, and wands all over again. (Can't wait for November 2010!) Apparently, magic is still part of the general zeitgeist of the design world, too, since new fairy-tale-inspired styles keep making their way into the market.
We've rounded up a few examples above. Although there are several that aren't new this year, many are designs that debuted or were re-released in 2010.
- This seasonal Iittala Satumetsä Dinnerware is new and currently on sale for $18 - $68. It's like Dr. Seuss meets the Brothers Grimm.
- Nymphenburg recently re-released this Black Biscuit Owl, which looks just like Harry's Hedwig cast in black.
- This Emery & Cie Caid Headboard (€1700) could very well be a portal into Narnia. For fairy tale decor, this European shop is always a good bet.
- Royal Copenhagen's Masquerade Mug ($40) is decorated with dragons. Other dishes in the series feature lions and tigers.
- Ferm Living's Gold Keys ($57) mimic gold leaf, and they remind us just a little of Celtic wall drawings.
- This Thomas Paul Tea Towel ($20) looks like an illustration straight out of Aesop's Fables.
Gypsy Faire Tents are totally Lord of the Rings, or Narnia, or Harry Potter — take your pick.
- Tara Bernerd's Dagger Cushion could be Captain Hook's favorite throw pillow.
- This Little Hooves Print by Jeff Friesen ($20) is an example of the forest animal theme that's still going strong.
- Not Neutral's Triton Lacquer Tray ($145) is very Alice in Wonderland.