I confess — I'm head over heels for all things linen! Be it lampshades, curtains, or slipcovers, I'll take it in any form. Simply put, there is no comparison to the nubby texture, yet soft and supple feel of linen. Linen is a textile made from the long fibers of the flax plant. These fibers are found behind the bark of the stem of the plant, Linum usitatissimum. In order to retrieve the fibers, the stem and pectin (which hold the fibers together), have to be rotted away. Although flax is not a difficult plant to grow, the process for separating the delicate fibers is labor intensive and remarkably, often still done by hand. This means higher priced thread or yarn, which results in the pricier cost of items made using this material. But rest assured, the often exorbitant price tag is worth it. Textiles made of linen absorb moisture and have lower elasticity. They become softer with daily use and washings, yet should stand the test of time.
I'll have to make do with my simple linen curtains and kitchen textiles. But in my dream world, I'll be sleeping on linen sheets — I hear they are hands-down, the finest!
• 1 Linen draped sofa - Domino magazine via Desire to Inspire
• 2 Nailhead linen curtains - Making it Lovely
• 3 Linen upholstered chairs, ottoman, and curtains - Kimberly Seldon Design Group via Oliveaux
• 4 Belgian linen loose fit slipcovers - Bemz via decor8
• 5 Linen chairs - Eric Roth via Elle Decor
• 6 Roman linen shade and upholstered linen settee - Country Living via Apartment Therapy: San Francisco
• 7 Chair and ottoman custom slipcovered in Luxury Linen by Todo Es. - Apartment Therapy: Chicago
• 8 Vintage French Style Pink Linen Couch - The Bella Cottage via Lovely Clusters
• 9 Printed number DIY chair upholstered in french linen fabric - Design Sponge
• 10 Heavy linen curtain - Apartment Therapy: San Francisco
Images: as linked above.