A half height filing cabinet.
You can get organized in style without spending much money. Here are a four stylish and recycled items that you can get for very little or no money.
Shown above the jump, from left to right:
- A Half-height Filing Cabinet as a Side Table: As shown above, thrift stores usually have a selection of half-height filing cabinets for around $20. They are easy to fit into mid-century modern or industrial décor and can be dressed up to add a little more warmth. Most sofas will have a similar height and depth to a half-height filing cabinet which makes them a great side table, while also serving as a filing cabinet.
- Wine Crate Boxes: Fine wines are often shipped in charming wooden boxes that often have the winery’s crest printed on or pressed in. The boxes range from low-end to high-end hardwood with heavy-duty hardware. Many of the boxes just get thrown away, but if you ask around and are extra nice to the wine merchant you can probably round up a few of these for yourself. There are so many storage uses for wine crates. They make great under bed storage, or for things like linens, blankets or pillows. You can also attach several together to build a shelf, or mount them to a wall for floated shelving.
- Milk Crates: The classic free recycled storage item. It can be a little tricky to use these as storage without looking like you live in dorm, but there’s actually a blog devoted to using the milk crate as home décor, check it out: Milk Crate Digest
- IKEA Furniture on Craigslist: Ok, this sort of seems too obvious, but you’d be surprised at how many people I know who haven’t thought to look for IKEA items on Craigslist. Basically, you can do your homework on the IKEA website to ensure the piece will fit your space perfectly, then keep an eye on Craigslist until it shows up. It’s a great way to get recycled furniture that you know will fit your space, it saves a lot of money, comes assembled, and it’s usually closer to home than going to an IKEA store which may be out of your way (depending on where you live).
• The $20 Wine Box Kitchen Shelving Solution
• Five Favorite Re-Uses For Wooden Crates
• 15 Repurposed, Upcycled, and DIY Storage Ideas
• Inspiration: Crate Bookshelf by 20.87 EStudio
(Images: 1. 2. Curbly; 3. Milk Crate Digest; 4.)