Name: Frances (3)
Location: Broadway, North Carolina
About a year and a half ago my daughter's No Theme Modern Nursery was featured on Apartment Therapy. Today I wanted to share with you how this no-theme nursery has been transformed into a Big Girl Room. I went with "no theme" for her nursery to leave plenty of room for the space to grow and evolve with my daughter, and it has!
We are expecting a baby boy in August so we moved our daughter over to a new room that was once our guest room/office. While her big girl room is no longer a no-theme Modern Nursery we were able to bring most of the furniture, decor, and even the color palette used in her nursery into her new room while taking on a totally different feel, the room has now been transformed into a Frilly, Floral and Feminine Big Girl Room, which suites the girl she is today.
Source & Details:
- Faux flower chandelier: DIY project. It is made out of a waste basket and fake flowers I bought at the dollar store.
- Metal headboard: purchased from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store for $4.50 and spray painted gold.
- Side table: picked up from a neighbor's trash and also spray painted gold.
- Mosquito netting over the bed: Overstock.com
- Bedding: Target
- Art hangers: DIY project to display her artwork
- Vintage dresser: thrift store find that I painted for her nursery and made the move to the big girl room.
- Her room has a tiny nook that we call the 'story book nook' it has a DIY pallet sofa tucked into it, a book rack, and book shelves.
- For the shelves I added washi tape to the shelves' edge and then continued the washi tape on the adjacent walls to add some visual interest to the room and spice up the boring white shelves.
I also gave her closet a makeover. Some of the closet details include:
- No-sew black and white chevron curtains that match her pallet sofa and conceal additional storage that would have appeared cluttered.
- A low shelf that I trimmed with washi tape just like in her bedroom. It makes a great surface for her to play.
- A $5 vintage bamboo hat rack that stores her dress up clothes.
- A hanging fruit basket used for clothes storage.
- I used some colorful baskets for toys and one that acts as a hamper, they pull in the room's color scheme of red, orange, pink.
- The pink paint color is Valspar's Blossom
Thanks, Griffin! Readers, visit Griffin and read more about Frances' room on The Design Itch.