Once upon a time, summer meant hours, days, and months that needed to be filled up with fun, because school was lurking right around the corner of September. Set aside an afternoon to ride your bike to the pool, lay on the deck eating Laffy Taffy and weaving friendship bracelets, and fill yourself with fun & sun. Or buy one of these amazing friendship bracelet paintings and revel in your apartment-having painting-purchasing adulthood!Maya Hayuk's paintings are like extreme close-ups of the coolest friendship bracelets anyone ever made. The fearless neons combine with the grey, white, black, and cream in such a grown-up-fun way. I don't have any of those bright colors in my apartment, and yet I think the first painting, "Friendship Bracelet: The Ballad of Never Forget" would fit right in. The second painting "Friendship Bracelet: Better BFF's" has the meditative, mystical qualities of some Navajo weavings.
If you're not in the market to buy fine art, but you do have some embroidery floss lying about, you're in luck. Honestly...WTF's chevron bracelet tutorial will keep you and all your friends busy and stylish this summer, and Molly of The Purl Bee has a lovely and easy-to-follow tutorial as well. If you've already made and worn enough embroidery floss bracelets to last a lifetime, make yourself and your climbing buddies the climbing rope bracelets from Honestly...WTF. I admire the pretty rope every time I'm at an outdoors store or hardware store, but haven't had a use for it so far. Bracelets for everyone!
These will make your wrist look good, but how to use friendship bracelets at home?
• Garland Make scaled-up versions using streamers (the "Metallic Twist Twisted Craft Paper" I used to jazz up balloons would be perfect) for rad party decorations.
• Ribbon Wrap packages in plain brown craft paper, then tie a friendship bracelet around the box in place of ribbon. If the bracelet is too short, tie additional pieces of embroidery floss to the ends and tie together on the bottom of the box.
• Napkin Rings If you're hosting a little party for your closest friends, tie a made-with-love bracelet around each of their napkins or wine glasses. Table decoration and party favor in one!
• Craft Night Or get your friends to do the work for you and host a friendship bracelet bee. Have everyone bring their favorite thread, rope, string, etc, make colorful summer cocktails, and gossip & weave your troubles away.
• Curtain Ties In a minimal room with lots of wood, white, and grey, vibrant friendship bracelets could make stunning curtain ties, the same way a Navajo blanket can shine in a muted bedroom.
Any other ideas?
Images: Maya Hayuk Paintings from Show & Tell Gallery via Poppytalk Handmade, Chevron Bracelets by Honestly...WTF via Rena Tom, Diamond/Chevron Bracelets from The Purl Bee, Rope Bracelets by Honestly...WTF