Buying a piece of furniture or an accessory in fuchsia is like ordering a daiquiri at the bar. It means you're in the mood for something sweet and you're not taking yourself too seriously. Sure, fuchsia might bring back memories of Molly Ringwald's ultra-ugly prom dress from Pretty in Pink, but it has the potential to look really great in the right context.
Fuchsia also has associations beyond Molly Ringwald and Madonna. Manly designers like Tom Dixon have been known to create the occasional fuchsia rug, while Verner Panton pretty much made fuchsia the official color of the psychedelic sixties.
Patricia Urquiola uses it today for her plastic, popsicle-colored sidechairs, and you can find a bunch of fuchsia upholstery at high-end Euro-style stores like Ligne Roset. To get you going, we've gathered up a few examples of fun and fabulous fuchsia pieces.
- Feelin Groovy Rug from FLOR, $4.50/sf
- Lush Pillow in Orchid from Unison, $36
- Linda Barker Evie Fuchsia Bedding, £23-38
- Frilly Chair by Patricia Urquiola for Kartell, $299
- Patchwork Bed from Ligne Roset
- Verner Panton Amoeba Chair for Vitra
- Step Rug by Tom Dixon for the Rug Company
- M.Me Butterfly Pendant Lamp, $1,350
- Marimekko Unikko Wallpaper at Finn Style, $149/roll
- Verner Panton's Pop Fantasia