The Bulletin polled the Terrain team to see what they were excited and determined to do this year. A few of my favorites include:
- "My resolution is plant commitment. I'm head over heels when I make and bring a new terrarium or planted arrangement home. A few months down the line, though, we drift apart… I need to learn to appreciate the longevity of house plants and remember that their permanence and beauty can last more than a few months." I can definitely identify with that one!
- "This year, I'm creating a rooftop oasis with a container garden on top of my building... Another major goal is adding an accessible water source — last year I carried a bucket up three flights from my kitchen!" Making garden tasks more manageable is huge!
- "One of my favorite ways to relax is flower arranging, so my resolution is to plant a cutting garden. I prefer wild, natural arrangements, so that philosophy guides my gardening style." Flower arranging is a passion of mine, as well, and I would love to have some control over what flowers I have access to.
- "Grow more herbs — for visual and olfactory enjoyment, and of course to cook with. I already confessed I'd become herb-complacent; 2013 is the year to change all that, one aromatic beauty at a time." Fresh herbs are such an incredible luxury, and are on the top of my wishlist.
- "Add more vines, annual and perennial… I was reminded this year when growing things like cardinal climber, for instance, just how much this extra vertical layer does to add another season to the same garden space." I've had a few vine failures on my fire escape (morning glories, sweet peas, bougainvillea) but will never give up on the wild beauty of vines.